Monday, August 27, 2012

Session 7 - Musculoskeletal System

Before the Session

I reviewed the presentation on musculoskeletal system that I had created for this class - once again I had to re-order the slides and check that I had not duplicated medical terms on different slides. Also reviewed my presentation on the stomach - my turn to present tonight. Found a great ClipArt of a man with a very large abdomen to add to the first page.

The Session

We started 3 minutes early as everyone was there. Started with an icebreaker which they responded well to.
Then it was time for my presentation on the stomach. My man with the fat stomach made them laugh! Great start! 

Stephen asked a question I couldn't answer so John (Tech Support for tonight) researched it and gave Stephen the information.

Musculoskeletal system went well. They really are great students - so well prepared. Needed to correct pronunciation for Stephen a couple of times but that is OK as he then repeats the word to get it correct, the same way I do it in class with f2f students.

I had a slide with a skeleton and a list of the bones and spent most of the day trying to think how to manage that slide. Stephen came up with an answer by drawing a line from the bone name to the skeleton. I would still like to be able to ask the participants to move the bone name to the bone - will have to think some more, but Stephen's idea worked well!

We finished about 3 minutes early so my timing has worked well as with the other sessions. That has surprised me as I had no idea how my timing would go and have paid little attention during the sessions although at the back of my mind I knew that I could abandon some slides if necessary. So far, it has not been necessary. Not sure how it will time with more learners.

Reflection

Session went well with learners very well prepared and engaged. Anna-Lee commented that she found learning the musculoskeletal system easier to learn and thinks that is because of the word parts she has learnt in previous weeks. I am sure that this is the reason.

I enjoyed the session although they told me that I sounded like a chipmunk at one stage. this happens occasionally  when the sound goes funny, but fortunately we didn't lose sound and it was just for a short time.


No comments:

Post a Comment