Monday, August 20, 2012

Session 6 - Cardiovascular system

Learner Feedback
It was wonderful during the week to find that Jenny had rung my online learners for feedback half way through the course and that the feedback was positive. I had been worrying needlessly!
I discussed this with Lynne tonight and she suggested that the standard format may be helping the learners by giving them a predictable format and lots of repetition. I agree with that - learners do need lots of repetition to learn.

Tonight's Online Session
The session tonight went well. We started with one learner's presentation on small and large intestine. She uploaded the presentation without any help and even used a pointer during the presentation. Fantastic presentation! She chose IBS as one of her diseases/disorders and appreciated the opportunity to research the topic as she suffers from this disorder herself. She very kindly shared her experience with the class. This added an extra dimension to the presentation.

Then we tackled the Cardiovascular system after participating in an icebreaker and a Poll. The Poll asked if they knew someone with heart disease - 100% did know someone with heart disease. We discussed the particular diseases suffered.

Then we did our usual functions of the system, prefixes, suffixes, combining forms, medical terms, diseases and disorders and abbreviations. I had also added some general questions that the learners answered well. Once again the learners had done their homework and were happy to show  the depth of their learning.

I love great, enthusiastic learners!

One ESL learner has been using the Quizlets I had created for the wiki and he has now created his own Quizlets to help him with his English - great idea that I may be able to use with the e-Mentor projects.

Reflections
Learners are showing a great affinity with Elluminate - a willingness to try things. I was surprised to see the use of the pointer in the presentation.
Great to see that my use of Quizlet has inspired an ESL learner to create his own to further his own learning.
Great session I really enjoyed it.



1 comment:

  1. Forgot to say that Anna-Lee attended this session from Adelaide where she was on holiday visiting family and friends.
    She was delighted to be able to attend even though she was in a different state!

    ReplyDelete